Monday, February 11, 2013

Diminishing Human-to-Human Contact

As I began reading Critical Literacy in a Digital Era, I was concerned after reading about Moore's Law.  Barbara Warnick wrote, "If Moore's Law continues to hold true and our technological capacity does indeed accelerate exponentially over time, then the creation of virtual environments, diminution of human-to-human contact, and relegation of work and labor entirely to computing devices appear to be logical outcomes" (Warnick 4).  After reading this and giving some thought to it, I was most concerned about the prediction of taking away human-to-human contact.



Looking at my mapping project for class, I saw how often I communicate through technology (whether it be on my cell phone, texting and calling, or a laptop for emailing).  I am a really big "people person"; I would much rather talk to people face-to-face, than on my cell phone.  I see how technology has already reduced human-to-human contact; but, if Moore's Law is correct and diminishes human-to-human contact even more, I think people won't know how to properly communicate and interact with others face-to-face, especially the younger generation.



4 comments:

  1. This is a topic of concern. I recently read a book called "Last Call in the City of Bridges" by Salvatore Pane, which is about people in their mid twenties who have grown up with technology (and various struggles they all have). Towards the end, the main character notices boys playing a card game together, but they are talking through facebook on their smartphones even though they are together.

    It was a bit of a chilling scene in that it could and maybe is the case today. I have seen kids with ipads and iphones (or at least ipod touches) from young ages. Each new generation is getting thrust into a more technologically dependent society, and it has the potential to get worse, unfortunately. However, I think that it is definitely possible for things to not be that bad, but it depends on different factors like parenting and schooling, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when I was reading about this it kind of made me wonder, "Is society that dependent on technology?" In addition, I am a people person and I like to talk face-to-face with someone. With new technology coming out more people only text, email, or call (sometimes). It is getting to the point that society is to into technology.

    The other day I was babysitting for an eleven and seven year old and they were both texting. For the reason why they have a phone I have no clue, but when trying to talk with one of them, it was similar to talking to a wall. Do not get me wrong technology is a wonderful thing, but it can also allow people forget about the world amd the people around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been learning about this exact issue in my Pop Culture class. the absence of face to face interaction for extended periods of time will push people to be more anti social in real life. We will have hundreds of "friends" online, but not will ever be as tangible as a real life relationship you could have with a person in the flesh. It is easy to see the effects of this already happening. The next time you are walking anywhere on campus, take note of how many people are choosing to invest themselves in their smart phones instead of socializing with the person walking near by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People don't interact like they used to. When someone is sitting in the living room with a group of friends half of the friends are often messing around on their smart phones. Less interaction is becoming common even while people are in the same room. Video chatting has become common however, where the illusion of face to face interaction is present. So as technology evolves, perhaps more interaction will take place. We will only have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete