Monday, February 4, 2013

Random Musings on Sunday Morning

So, while trying to think of what to blog about, a conversation that me and a friend of mine had a couple weeks ago while setting up for Church.  First off, the space we meet in is not in fact our space, so we have to haul in all of our sound equipment and set up every week.  This usually involves several large carts filled with cables, huge subs, mains and LOTS of cables, as well as a box full of microphones.  As we were talking about our usually nerdy stuff, one of us (I don't really remember who, could have been me) pointed out that what we were doing required highly specialized skills and knowledge, and we were doing it without even thinking about what we were doing.  Most people don't know what any of this is, let alone how to set it up or use it.

This got me thinking, surely we are not the only people with specialized skill sets that we have based purely on our interests, not necessarily something we learned in one of our major classes.  I am sure everyone reading this has some sort of specialized skill or knowledge they have developed without realizing how specialized it is.  They also have those circle of friends, be it in real life or on the internet where outsiders wouldn't be able to understand any of the conversation.  We have specialized language that we use that most people wouldn't understand,  for example, me and my friends will talk about pre-amps, XLR cables, 1/4" cables, snakes (not the slithering animal), frequencies and how to use the EQ to eliminate feedback.  Chances are most of you won't understand half of that, but thats my point, and that is why I think this relates to Digital Literacies.

Each of our specialized skills, and knowledge probably come with a set of technical terms, or jargon.  I think this is partially due to the internet and vast amount of knowledge at our fingertips that we can search through and educate ourselves on topics that interest us, and therefore accumulate this specialized knowledge and skills.

5 comments:

  1. I actually know quite a bit about that I use to help do sound at my church in high school and have been in bands. I grew up loving instruments and music. It was not until college that I found out I love the technological side of music. I am a Digital Audio major in T-Comm so the more I get into the major the more Digital my life will become. One day I hope to be able to use technology to create amazing things and bring people together for a common good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely can identify with this, particularly in the realms of entertainment. I can rattle off movie titles, years, actors, actresses, directors, screenwriters like it's second nature. Same with video games, and sports teams, coaches, players, and leagues. I often will isolate myself and a few friends in a conversation, with the content soaring over the heads of other people in the conversation.

    It is very interesting how many hobbies become transparent to us. A lot of the information and names I know seem like standard, basic facts that are second nature for me to talk about and remember.

    It just goes to show that there are probably a lot of things that are second nature to us - whether it is a pencil, a computer, phone, or other interest areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, technology has become so natural to many people in society that we do not even realize that we are in control of a highly specialized skill. For others who are not able to work with this type of technology they may experience opacity. Although, the people you have difficulty using media, they may be people who were not able to have experiences growing up with this technology. For others (like yourself) technology has been in a part of our lives and you are able to experience transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. With all of the resources that we have available on the internet we have access to learning almost anything that we want. With our interests come new friends, terms, and ways of doing things. The internet makes all of this possible because it makes it so easy. We don't have to call the help line, go into store and wait in a long line, or rely on a professional to do it for us. All we have to do is go Google, and voila it will explain exactly how to do it in multiple different ways. I had never really thought about the different jargons that we pick up as we learn new skills but that is totally true. I think that it is amazing that we can learn specialized skills so quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like the points made in this post really do relate to our text. Personally, I am not great with computers and technology, so reading "Understanding Digital Literacies" is giving me more knowledge on a subject that I really don't understand. On the other hand, I do have special skills that I do have the background and knowledge on that subject. Sometimes, if you are having trouble understanding something you are doing, you always have the option of 'Googling' or 'Binging' it in order to answer your question.

    ReplyDelete